HC stays arrest of former Swami Chinmayanand
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday stayed the arrest of religious leader-turned-politician and former Union Minister Swami Chinmayanand who has been accused of sexual assault by an ex-disciple.
The order was passed by a Division Bench comprising Justice DP Singh and Justice VK Mathur which asked the Uttar Pradesh government to file its counter-affidavit within three weeks on the petition filed by Chinmayanand, who was the Union Minister of State for Home during the BJP-led NDA regime.
The former Union Minister has challenged an FIR lodged against him at Kotwali police station of Shahjahanpur district by one Chidarpita Gautam.
In the FIR, the complainant has alleged that she had become a disciple of Swami Chinmayanand in 2005 and during her stay at his ashram the 64-year-old religious leader had repeatedly raped her, made her undergo abortion more than once and threatened to kill her whenever she protested.
The court has ordered that the matter be listed for further hearing after three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy