HC stays arrest of former Swami Chinmayanand
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday stayed the arrest of religious leader-turned-politician and former Union Minister Swami Chinmayanand who has been accused of sexual assault by an ex-disciple.
The order was passed by a Division Bench comprising Justice DP Singh and Justice VK Mathur which asked the Uttar Pradesh government to file its counter-affidavit within three weeks on the petition filed by Chinmayanand, who was the Union Minister of State for Home during the BJP-led NDA regime.
The former Union Minister has challenged an FIR lodged against him at Kotwali police station of Shahjahanpur district by one Chidarpita Gautam.
In the FIR, the complainant has alleged that she had become a disciple of Swami Chinmayanand in 2005 and during her stay at his ashram the 64-year-old religious leader had repeatedly raped her, made her undergo abortion more than once and threatened to kill her whenever she protested.
The court has ordered that the matter be listed for further hearing after three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate