HC stays arrest of former Swami Chinmayanand
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday stayed the arrest of religious leader-turned-politician and former Union Minister Swami Chinmayanand who has been accused of sexual assault by an ex-disciple.
The order was passed by a Division Bench comprising Justice DP Singh and Justice VK Mathur which asked the Uttar Pradesh government to file its counter-affidavit within three weeks on the petition filed by Chinmayanand, who was the Union Minister of State for Home during the BJP-led NDA regime.
The former Union Minister has challenged an FIR lodged against him at Kotwali police station of Shahjahanpur district by one Chidarpita Gautam.
In the FIR, the complainant has alleged that she had become a disciple of Swami Chinmayanand in 2005 and during her stay at his ashram the 64-year-old religious leader had repeatedly raped her, made her undergo abortion more than once and threatened to kill her whenever she protested.
The court has ordered that the matter be listed for further hearing after three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing