HC stays UP govt’s move to withdraw cases against terror accused
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: In a major embarrassment for the ruling Samajwadi Party, the Allahabad High Court on Friday put a stay on the Akhilesh Yadav government’s move to withdraw terror charges against those falsely implicated in terror cases.
The Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court, while referring the case to a larger bench, posted the matter for next hearing after six weeks.
The court passed its order after the Samajwadi Party government filed its reply in the case today.
The High Court had earlier questioned the state government’s move and asked it to clarify whether it checked with the Centre before withdrawing the cases since most anti-terror laws are central laws.
The High Court had also questioned the legality of the decision taken by the UP government.
Campaigning for the Assembly elections last year, the Samajwadi Party had promised in its manifesto to review terror charges against innocent Muslim youth who had been allegedly framed in terror cases during the former Mayawati government.
When it came to power, the state government began work on its promise by ordering the withdrawal of terror charges against Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the Gorakhpur, Lucknow and Faizabad serial blasts case. In November, serial blasts had ripped through the three cities killing more than a dozen and injuring several people.
However, a local court in Barabanki rejected the state government`s plea to withdraw terror cases against him and another accused Tariq Qasmi. The rejection came on technical grounds, for non-compliance of paperwork formalities.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks