HC stays UP govt’s move to withdraw cases against terror accused
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: In a major embarrassment for the ruling Samajwadi Party, the Allahabad High Court on Friday put a stay on the Akhilesh Yadav government’s move to withdraw terror charges against those falsely implicated in terror cases.
The Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court, while referring the case to a larger bench, posted the matter for next hearing after six weeks.
The court passed its order after the Samajwadi Party government filed its reply in the case today.
The High Court had earlier questioned the state government’s move and asked it to clarify whether it checked with the Centre before withdrawing the cases since most anti-terror laws are central laws.
The High Court had also questioned the legality of the decision taken by the UP government.
Campaigning for the Assembly elections last year, the Samajwadi Party had promised in its manifesto to review terror charges against innocent Muslim youth who had been allegedly framed in terror cases during the former Mayawati government.
When it came to power, the state government began work on its promise by ordering the withdrawal of terror charges against Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the Gorakhpur, Lucknow and Faizabad serial blasts case. In November, serial blasts had ripped through the three cities killing more than a dozen and injuring several people.
However, a local court in Barabanki rejected the state government`s plea to withdraw terror cases against him and another accused Tariq Qasmi. The rejection came on technical grounds, for non-compliance of paperwork formalities.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand