HC suspends order passed in favour of Nupur Talwar

Dentist Nupur Talwar, facing trial in the murder of her teenaged daughter Aarushi, suffered a setback in the Allahabad High Court on Monday.

Allahabad: In a setback to dentist Nupur Talwar, facing trial in the murder of her teenaged daughter Aarushi, the Allahabad High Court on Monday suspended its last
month order asking a CBI court at Ghaziabad to "expeditiously" decide any bail application moved by her.

The court passed the order on a recall application filed by the CBI which alleged that Talwar had secured the order in her favour by submitting "false information" and sought punitive action against her.

Justice Bala Krishna Narayana, while suspending his order dated March 13, 2012, issued notice to Nupur asking her to file a reply within two weeks and also summoned the records of the trial from the lower court.

According to CBI counsel Anurag Khanna, the probe agency has alleged that in her petition Nupur had prayed for a direction to the trial court that a decision on her bail application be taken on the same day and had "falsely" stated that she had not so far been granted this sort of relief.

"Nupur Talwar had made the submission hiding the fact that an order to the effect that her bail plea be decided on the very same day was passed by the Allahabad High Court itself on March 18, 2011.

"The CBI has therefore requested the court to recall its order passed last month and also sought punitive action against the petitioner under Section 340 of the Criminal Procedure Code for providing false information in a sworn affidavit," Khanna said.

On March 13, the court had asked Nupur to appear before the CBI court within 30 days and asked the trial court to "expeditiously" decide any bail application filed by her.

Nupur and her husband Rajesh Talwar are facing trial in the four-year-old murder case.

The body of Aarushi was found with her throat slit at their Noida residence in May, 2008. The body of their domestic help Hemraj was recovered from the terrace of the house hours later.

Investigation in the case was handed over to the CBI following public outrage over shoddy probe by the Uttar Pradesh police.

The CBI submitted its closure report last year in which it did not name the Talwar couple as an accused.

However, the special court at Ghaziabad decided to go ahead with the trial holding that there was enough evidence against them.