HC upholds death sentence of woman, lover who killed 7 family members
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court today upheld the death sentence awarded to a young woman and her lover for hacking to death the former`s parents, two brothers and their wives besides strangulating her 10-month-old nephew in Amroha district of Uttar Pradesh.
A Division Bench comprising Justices Amar Saran and S C Agrawal rejected the appeals of Saleem and Shabnam who had challenged the death sentence awarded to them by the Sessions Judge of Jyotiba Phule Nagar (now renamed as Amroha) on July 15, 2010.
Saleem and Shabnam were having an affair and wanted to get married but their relationship had met with stiff opposition from the woman`s family.
On April 15, 2008, Shabnam`s entire family was wiped out and though the woman initially pretended that her house was attacked by unidentified assailants, it came to light during investigation that she had abetted Saleem in the crime as she had made her family members drink milk laced with sedatives prior to the attack and thereafter herself throttled her little nephew.
Rejecting their appeals, the court noted that the appellants had committed the crime in a "cold-blooded and pre-planned manner".
The court also noted that the appellants had "even shown disloyalty to each other" in their statements recorded during the trial wherein they had "tried to shift the burden of the crime on others whilst exonerating themselves".
"All these features indicate the extremely brutal, calculated and diabolical nature of the crime which suggests that there was little likelihood of reform of these accused", the court remarked.
The court also turned down the appellants` plea for leniency on the ground that Shabnam had given birth to a child while in jail who would be orphaned if she and Saleem were executed, saying "death penalty is the only appropriate sentence" in view of the "heinous nature of the crime".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research