HC upholds penalty on rail employee for taking bribe of Rs 300
Lucknow: The man accused of bullying and physically abusing five Dalit woman activists in Uttar Pradesh`s Lalitpur district last week, was arrested there Monday, police said. He was presented before a court which sent him to 14 days` judicial custody.
Lalitpur`s Superintendent of Police J.P. Singh said that they were on the trail of Sahab Singh Yadav for the last five days and succeeded in nabbing him Monday.
"We had promised of action against the accused and we are happy that we have delivered on it," he said while assuring that strict action as per law would be taken against Yadav and full protection would be given to the activists.
Last week, five women field workers of the Sahjani Shiksha Kendra (SSK) were attacked in Digwar village in Madawara block of Lalitpur by Yadav.
The arrest comes three days after the SSK and Nirantar activists along with local and national organisations staged a protest demanding Yadav`s immediate arrest. A national fact-finding team`s independent and objective findings validated the facts of the case and supported the demand for the arrest of the accused and providing security to those affected.
This arrest is a significant step towards restoring the faith of the Dalit and `adivasi` (tribal) communities as well as the civil society organisations in the local administration, the SSK said in a statement.
The district police chief had assured IANS Sunday that the culprit would soon be arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25