Heat wave unabated in North India, two die in UP
New Delhi: Two persons succumbed to sunstroke in Uttar Pradesh as most parts of the northern plains simmered at temperatures above normal, even as some places witnessed light showers.
In the national capital Delhi, the maximum temperature settled at 42.4 degrees Celsius, five notches above normal, while the minimum touched 32.4 degrees Celsius, four degrees above normal.
Two persons succumbed to sunstroke in Prabudh Nagar district in western Uttar Pradesh, even as the eastern part of the state heaved a sigh of relief as moderate showers lashed parts of the region.
While the day temperature rose appreciably in Gorakhpur division, it fell in Varanasi, Allahabad, Lucknow, Bareilly, Moradabad and Kanpur divisions.
The highest maximum temperature in the state was recorded in Etawah at 44.2 degrees Celsius.
There was no let up in the heat wave in Rajasthan as well, with Churu sizzling at a maximum of 43.5 degrees Celsius, followed by SriGanganagar at 42 degrees, according to the MeT department.
Jaipur, Bikaner and Jaisalmer recorded maximums of 41.7, 41.3 and 40.5 degrees Celsius and other places recorded day temperatures between 35.7 degrees and 40.1 degrees Celsius.
Hot and humid conditions gripped Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh as well, with day temperatures settling at up to five degrees above normal.
Amritsar was the hottest place in Punjab at 43.4 degrees Celsius, five notches above normal, while in Haryana, Hisar recorded the highest maximum temperature at 43.5 degrees Celsius, three notches above normal.
Chandigarh recorded a high of 40.1 degrees Celsius, three degrees above normal.
The day temperatures at most places in the two states, including Bhiwani, Karnal, Narnaul and Rohtak in Haryana and Ludhiana and Patiala in Punjab were above 40 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi