Hiked power tariff comes into effect in UP
Lucknow: The power tariff hike announced on May 31 came into effect in Uttar Pradesh on Monday. Domestic users would now pay 35 percent more for power, while the rural sector would have to pay 45 percent more.
For bills till June 9, the old power tariff structure would be used, officials said.
Under the rules, the hike in tariff comes automatically into effect on the seventh day of the publication of the notification for the same, officials explained.
With no sign that the state government would relent and heed to demands for a rollback of the hike, the tariff is considered implemented from Monday, officials said.
Director (Commercial) of the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) confirmed the hike, and said all preparations have been made with regard to this.
This, he added, would essentially mean that the changes required in the billing software have been incorporated, and the new tariff plan posted on it.
Opposition parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) have slammed the Akhilesh Yadav government for the hike in power tariff and demanded a rollback, failing which they would undertake protests across the state.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, meanwhile, blamed the poor financial condition of the UPPCL for the "painful decision", and said that efforts were on to ensure better power supply to the people. He said that in times to come, the state would get more power.
He however parried questions on whether the state government planned to slash the hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam