Holiday cancelled on Kanshiram`s death anniversary; BSP slams UP govt
New Delhi: The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Sunday criticised the Akhilesh Yadav-led Uttar Pradesh Government for cancelling the public holiday on the death anniversary of BSP founder Kanshiram on October 9.
BSP leader Sudhindra Bhadoria said the decision reflected the narrow mindedness of the state government.
"It is reflective of their narrow mindedness. They think that people wouldn`t come if the holiday was cancelled. There would a massive crow and people would pay their respect to late Kanshi Ram. Thousands of workers like me, from Uttar Pradesh and other parts of the country, would assemble there after call given by Mayawati," Bhadoria added.
Meanwhile, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said Akhilesh Yadav should devote his energy in positive works rather than indulging in negative things.
"The chief minister of Uttar Pradesh is a young man. He should use his energy in positive works. It would enhance his as well as well the government reputation. These are negative things to break some one`s statue and cancel a public holiday granted by a previous government in honour of a great leader," said BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in New Delhi.
Kanshiram, born on March 15, 1934, founded the BSP in 1984 and died on 9 October 2006.
The BSP, after assuming power in 2007, had notified a holiday under negotiable instrument act on Nirvan Diwas (death anniversary) of Kanshiram. Another holiday - but not under negotiable instrument act - was declared on Kanshiram``s birthday, on March 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...