Huge cache of turtles seized in UP
Lucknow: A huge cache of turtles stuffed in sacks was recovered from an ambulance in Uttar Pradesh`s Bareilly district late Thursday, police said.
About 450 turtles in six sacks were caught from the vehicle on the Delhi-Bareilly highway.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Satyendra Veer Singh told IANS that during checking, the police team developed suspicion on three people travelling in an ambulance.
Bareilly is around 250 km from here.
"When the officers tried to talk to them, two of them fled and only the driver was left. On his interrogation, 450 turtles were recovered from the rear of the ambulance," Singh said.
On recovery, 50 turtles were found to be dead. The turtles were being taken to Delhi, police said.
The driver, Omendra has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days