Huge cache of turtles seized in UP
Lucknow: A huge cache of turtles stuffed in sacks was recovered from an ambulance in Uttar Pradesh`s Bareilly district late Thursday, police said.
About 450 turtles in six sacks were caught from the vehicle on the Delhi-Bareilly highway.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Satyendra Veer Singh told IANS that during checking, the police team developed suspicion on three people travelling in an ambulance.
Bareilly is around 250 km from here.
"When the officers tried to talk to them, two of them fled and only the driver was left. On his interrogation, 450 turtles were recovered from the rear of the ambulance," Singh said.
On recovery, 50 turtles were found to be dead. The turtles were being taken to Delhi, police said.
The driver, Omendra has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE
- Roger Federer pulls out of Rio Olympics following ongoing knee trouble
- Super 30 founder wants 'level playing field' for marginalised students at IIT entrance