Hundreds bids adieu to slain soldier in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Hundreds of people Thursday paid a tearful homage to Indian soldier Mohammed Firoz Khan, who was killed by Pakistani troops on the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday.
The 36-year-old Khan`s last rites were performed with full military honours at a Muslim graveyard in Nawab Sahab Kunta in Hyderabad`s Old City.
Hundreds of Muslim youths turned out to pay their last respects to Khan, whose body was flown in early Thursday. Some of the mourners held Indian flags and banners hailing the soldier. They shouted anti-Pakistan slogans.
Andhra Pradesh minister D Nagender, Greater Hyderabad Mayor Majid Hussain, YSR Congress party president YS Jaganmohan Reddy, BJP leaders G Kishan Reddy and Bandaru Dattatreya and leaders of other political parties also paid their respects to Khan.
Heart rending scenes were witnessed at Khan`s house. His mother Razia Begum and wife Nasreen Fatima were inconsolable on seeing the body.
Many were in tears after seeing his four-year-old daughter Afshin Fatima, two-year-old son Arshad Khan and eight-month-old daughter Aisha Fatima.
Lance Naik Firoz Khan was killed when Pakistani troops violated the 2003 ceasefire and fired shells at the Poonch sector in Jammau and Kashmir Tuesday.
The family received the news late Tuesday when they were preparing for Eid-ul-Azha the next day.
Khan has been serving with the Madras Regiment for 12 years. He had last visited his family on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr two months ago.
According to family members, he spoke to his wife over phone a couple of days ago to express his inability to come home on Eid and asked her to buy new clothes for the children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened