I can make tea, play drums, I can become PM: Azam Khan
Saharanpur: He may be a strident critic of Narendra Modi but Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan says he shares many of his qualities like "making tea", "dressing properly" and "playing drums" and is a "fit candidate" for prime minister.
"I have all the qualities of becoming Prime Minister. I can make tea, play the drum, cook food and I wear proper clothes. Besides, I am not all that bad looking or am I corrupt," he said at an e-rickshaw distribution function here.
Khan took jibes at Modi for his "chaiwala" beginnings, his "monogrammed suit" and his drum playing episodes in Japan and Tanzania.
"If I become Prime Minister, I assure you, I will deposit Rs 20 lakh in accounts of 130 crore people within six months. I am not like those who don't keep their promises," he said in an apparent dig at Modi over his poll promise of depositing Rs 15 lakh each in the account of every Indian.
"Nobody would have been poor if the money was deposited. People would not have to come here to take e-rickshaws to earn a livelihood but would have been 'crore-patis' (millionaires)," he said.
"A rikshaw puller always faces difficulty in getting his daughter married because the probable groom's family rejects the proposal because of his social status and work," he claimed.
The UP government is replacing cycle-rickshaws with e-rickshaws to give them the opportunity to earn better and regain their self-respect, he said.
Taking further potshots at Modi, Khan said, "At a time when tension rages at the border and our poor are going hungry, he (Modi) sends 'shawls' to Pakistan and gets in return boxes of mangoes. The king is happy so is Pakistan. He will take advantage of this in the 2017 polls (in UP)."
Attacking the media, he said it was better to watch entertainment channels than news channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM