I-T dept raids wholesale onion dealers across UP
Lucknow: The income tax (I-T) department on Friday raided wholesale onion dealers across the state in view of sudden spurt in its prices, official sources said here.
"The raids were conducted in Lucknow, Varanasi, Kanpur, Ghaziabad, Bareilly, Meerut and other places of the state at main dealers of onion", a senior IT official told a news agency.
In Lucknow, the raid was conducted and three wholesale dealers in Naveen vegetable market at Sitapur road, where the IT team had to face resistance from local traders, who alleged that they were being unnecessarily harassed in the name of raids.
About the recovery, the official said that they records of stock was being checked by the staff and it would take time to elaborate about it.
The raids came after reports that onion were being sold at exorbitant prices and tax was evaded by the dealers to make profits, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress