I-T dept raids wholesale onion dealers across UP
Lucknow: The income tax (I-T) department on Friday raided wholesale onion dealers across the state in view of sudden spurt in its prices, official sources said here.
"The raids were conducted in Lucknow, Varanasi, Kanpur, Ghaziabad, Bareilly, Meerut and other places of the state at main dealers of onion", a senior IT official told a news agency.
In Lucknow, the raid was conducted and three wholesale dealers in Naveen vegetable market at Sitapur road, where the IT team had to face resistance from local traders, who alleged that they were being unnecessarily harassed in the name of raids.
About the recovery, the official said that they records of stock was being checked by the staff and it would take time to elaborate about it.
The raids came after reports that onion were being sold at exorbitant prices and tax was evaded by the dealers to make profits, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony