I told security forces not to fire at kar sewaks: Kalyan
Ayodhya: Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister
Kalyan Singh today said he was not in favour of demolition of
the Babri Masjid, but admitted protecting kar sewaks by
instructing security forces not to open fire at them.
"I was not in favour of demolishing the Mosque. But, I
protected kar sewaks who were demolishing the Mosque by not
issuing firing orders. I instructed the security forces not to
open fire at kar sewaks on December 6, 1992," he told
His comments came a day after he floated `Jan Kranti
Party,` which, he said, would have `Hinduism and nationalism`
as its ideology.
In a U-turn, he said he had never apologised to the
Muslims for demolition of the Masjid. But, when he was with
the Samajwadi Party after parting ways with the BJP, he had,
in public meetings, tendered apology for his `failure` in
saving the structure.
Singh was here for darshan at the disputed site of Babri
Masjid/Ram Janma Bhumi.
He said he would convince Muslims to abandon their claim
over the site and let the Ram temple be constructed.
Singh said he was hopeful of a peaceful solution to the
issue through talks between leaders of Hindus and Muslims.
"I had initiated some effort in that direction at one
point of time, but before I could make much headway, my
government was out," the former CM said about the dismissal of
of his government by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video