IAF chopper crashes in Uttar Pradesh; 7 killed, probe ordered
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Lucknow: In yet another blow to the Indian Air Force (IAF), one of its advanced helicopters on Friday crashed in the Ataria area of Sitapur district in Uttar Pradesh, killing all seven persons onboard.
As per initial reports, the ALH Dhruv chopper had taken off from Bareilly.
The pilot of the chopper had given a `May Day call` (emergency call) before the crash and lost radio and radar contact after that, IAF spokesperson said in Delhi .
The IAF aircraft had on board two pilots and five air warriors. There are no survivors, he said.
The chopper had taken off from Bareilly at 1553 hours and crashed approximately around 1657 hours, the spokesman said.
The IAF has ordered a Court of Inquiry and teams have been rushed to the crash site in Sitapur.
A Wing Commander, Squadron Leader, Junior Warrant Officer, Sergeant and an LAC along with two Corporals were killed in the crash.
Sub Divisional Magistrate, Sidhauli, A K Srivastava said that the chopper was engulfed in fire as it crashed in Manipurwa in Ataria area.
District Magistrate, Sitapur, JP Singh said that the helicopter was heading towards Allahabad when it crashed. Sitapur is nearly 160 km from Bareilly and over 90 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands