Idea of Lokpal would create blackmailers: Katju
Lucknow: Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju on Tuesday trashed the idea of setting up Lokpal saying it was "completely unworkable" and the proposed
anti-graft body would not be able to cope with the lakhs of complaints it may receive.
"Lakhs of complaints will come which cannot be handled
by one person, therefore 55,000 Lokpals would be required.
Lokpal would be required in every district," Katju told
reporters, adding he had been silent on the issue till now as
people would say that he was "supporting corruption".
"What is the guarantee that they would not turn corrupt.
I feel that they would definitely become blackmailers," Katju
"You want to create a parallel bureaucracy then how
will the government fuction..this is completely unworkable,"
Katju said that as there are over 50 lakh government
employees and lakhs of complaints may be filed which cannot be
handled by one person.
Justice Katju said this would involve infrastructure and
expenditure including salary, accommodation, staff and office
"Till now I was silent as I thought people would say
that I am supporting corruption, but common sense has to be
used," he said. He, however, praised Anna Hazare.
"To me Anna Hazare seems to be an honest man, but he
does not have a scientific approach," Katju said.
"Are problems solved by slogan shouting. From my point
of view as far as Jan Lokpal in concerned no government will
be able to function under it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets