Idols not `perpetual minor`, may lose property: Justice Khan
Lucknow: The idols or deity are not "perpetual minors" and can also lose the right over a property under the doctrine of adverse possession, Justice SU Khan of the Allahabad High Court has said in his ruling on the Ayodhya title suits.
"It is held that idol/deity is not minor (perpetual) for the purposes of limitation and debutter property may be lost through adverse possession," he said in his 285-page
A plea was advanced that an idol being a minor cannot be deprived of its ownership of a property which has been occupied by others under the doctrine of adverse possession.
"In my opinion the observation that an idol is in the position of a minor is confined only to the aspect that a minor himself cannot file suit.
"And during his minority if a suit is to be filed, it can be filed only through his guardian similarly idol cannot file suit by itself and it can be filed only through someone else who is normally to be a Shabait and in exceptional cases any other worshipper," Justice Khan, quoting various apex court judgements, said.
According to the doctrine of adverse possession, even a rightful owner of a property may lose his title over it if another person is occupying it for a particular period without
The rights of minors are protected under the doctrine till they attain majority.
The counsel for Bahgwan Sri Ram Virajman, though unsuccessfully, attempted to prove that the rights of idols over a property are protected forever.
Justice Khan, however, allowed the plea that deity is a perpetual minor vis-a-vis taking benefits under the Limitation Act 1963 and for approaching the courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...