If UP becomes defecation-free, will accept Sai Baba is alive: Ramesh
New Delhi: "If Uttar Pradesh becomes open defecation-free in 10 years, I can accept that Sai Baba is alive," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Tuesday expressing doubts about the state achieving the complete Nirmal status in next 10 years.
Ramesh, who is also the Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, also said the issue of sanitation should become a "political agenda" in states like Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan to execute the Government`s declared policy that India will be made open defecation free by 2022.
"In Haryana, out of 6,700 Gram Panchayats, 1700 have become Nirmal Gram Panchayat. The way the programme is being run in Haryana is encouraging. The Chief Minister has assured me that by 2014, all the Gram Panchayats will be Nirmal Gram Panchayat. In Himachal Pradesh, I expect that by March 2013, all the Gram Panchayats will be Nirmal Gram Panchayat.
"In Uttar Pradesh, if we are able to do it in next 10 years, then I can accept that Sai Baba is live," the Minister told reporters after addressing the national workshop on sanitation here.
Vigorously pushing the agenda of sanitation, he said "an Army of volunteers" comprising the three crore members of women self-help groups, over 8 lakh ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist) volunteers and 13 lakh anganwadi workers to spread the awareness of hygiene through the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan campaign in rural areas of the country.
The minister said he was trying to "de-bureaucratise" the sanitation movement and make it a national movement.
"There is too much bureaucratic movement right now. How to make it a people`s movement. How to make it a national obsession. That is what my concern is," Ramesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured