If UP becomes defecation-free, will accept Sai Baba is alive: Ramesh
New Delhi: "If Uttar Pradesh becomes open defecation-free in 10 years, I can accept that Sai Baba is alive," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Tuesday expressing doubts about the state achieving the complete Nirmal status in next 10 years.
Ramesh, who is also the Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, also said the issue of sanitation should become a "political agenda" in states like Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan to execute the Government`s declared policy that India will be made open defecation free by 2022.
"In Haryana, out of 6,700 Gram Panchayats, 1700 have become Nirmal Gram Panchayat. The way the programme is being run in Haryana is encouraging. The Chief Minister has assured me that by 2014, all the Gram Panchayats will be Nirmal Gram Panchayat. In Himachal Pradesh, I expect that by March 2013, all the Gram Panchayats will be Nirmal Gram Panchayat.
"In Uttar Pradesh, if we are able to do it in next 10 years, then I can accept that Sai Baba is live," the Minister told reporters after addressing the national workshop on sanitation here.
Vigorously pushing the agenda of sanitation, he said "an Army of volunteers" comprising the three crore members of women self-help groups, over 8 lakh ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist) volunteers and 13 lakh anganwadi workers to spread the awareness of hygiene through the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan campaign in rural areas of the country.
The minister said he was trying to "de-bureaucratise" the sanitation movement and make it a national movement.
"There is too much bureaucratic movement right now. How to make it a people`s movement. How to make it a national obsession. That is what my concern is," Ramesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region