IIT-Kanpur may restrict Internet access
Kanpur: Authorities at the Indian Institute
of Technology (IIT) here are deliberating on restricting
Internet access to students during the night saying that it
has a negative effect on their academic performance.
"The campus is wi-fi enabled and it has been found that
students use Internet throughout the night on their laptops
due to which they are sleepy during classes and it adversely
affects their academic performance," Registrar Sanjeev
He said poor performance leads to stress among students
and some of them commit suicide after being unable to cope
with academic pressure.
A decision to restrict Internet access between midnight
and six am in the campus will be implemented only if a
consensus is reached on the matter, Kashalkar said.
On Thursday, a B-Tech first year student had committed
suicide at the institute’s hostel which was the ninth such
case in the past six years and has become a cause of concern
for the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj