IIT-Kanpur may restrict Internet access
Kanpur: Authorities at the Indian Institute
of Technology (IIT) here are deliberating on restricting
Internet access to students during the night saying that it
has a negative effect on their academic performance.
"The campus is wi-fi enabled and it has been found that
students use Internet throughout the night on their laptops
due to which they are sleepy during classes and it adversely
affects their academic performance," Registrar Sanjeev
He said poor performance leads to stress among students
and some of them commit suicide after being unable to cope
with academic pressure.
A decision to restrict Internet access between midnight
and six am in the campus will be implemented only if a
consensus is reached on the matter, Kashalkar said.
On Thursday, a B-Tech first year student had committed
suicide at the institute’s hostel which was the ninth such
case in the past six years and has become a cause of concern
for the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list