IIT-Kanpur student commits suicide
Kanpur: A first year BTech student of
IIT-Kanpur on Thursday allegedly committed suicide in his hostel
room, the ninth such case in five years, police said.
19-year-old Mehtab Ahmed, a resident of Kannauj in Uttar
Pradesh, hanged himself in his hostel room, they said.
The reason as to why he took the extreme step was not
The incident came to light when his friends found him
hanging in his room and reported the matter to the authorities
following which the warden rushed to the hostel and found him
"Ahmed was a student of Material Science and Engineering
and was living in Room No 307," IIT-K Director Sanjay Dhande
The IIT-K authorities immediately constituted a
four-member committee to probe the matter and reported the
incident to Kalyapur police station. The committee has been
asked to submit its report within a week, he said.
Dhande said Ahmed had taken admission in IIT-K just two
Asked if he was driven to suicide because of ragging, he
said the matter was being looked into, but, prima facie it did
not appear to be so.
Meanwhile, IIT-K Registrar Sanjeev Kashalkar said the
boy`s family members have been informed.
The news of his suicide created flutter inside the campus
as this was the ninth such case during the last five years.
Reply to an RTI query showed that from 2005 to 2010, two
girl students and six boys of IIT-K have committed suicide.
Five students committed suicide in their hostel rooms, one
jumped from the roof of a building in the campus and another
jumped in front of a moving train. Yet another had consumed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users