IIT-Kanpur student commits suicide
Kanpur: A first year BTech student of
IIT-Kanpur on Thursday allegedly committed suicide in his hostel
room, the ninth such case in five years, police said.
19-year-old Mehtab Ahmed, a resident of Kannauj in Uttar
Pradesh, hanged himself in his hostel room, they said.
The reason as to why he took the extreme step was not
The incident came to light when his friends found him
hanging in his room and reported the matter to the authorities
following which the warden rushed to the hostel and found him
"Ahmed was a student of Material Science and Engineering
and was living in Room No 307," IIT-K Director Sanjay Dhande
The IIT-K authorities immediately constituted a
four-member committee to probe the matter and reported the
incident to Kalyapur police station. The committee has been
asked to submit its report within a week, he said.
Dhande said Ahmed had taken admission in IIT-K just two
Asked if he was driven to suicide because of ragging, he
said the matter was being looked into, but, prima facie it did
not appear to be so.
Meanwhile, IIT-K Registrar Sanjeev Kashalkar said the
boy`s family members have been informed.
The news of his suicide created flutter inside the campus
as this was the ninth such case during the last five years.
Reply to an RTI query showed that from 2005 to 2010, two
girl students and six boys of IIT-K have committed suicide.
Five students committed suicide in their hostel rooms, one
jumped from the roof of a building in the campus and another
jumped in front of a moving train. Yet another had consumed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends