Imam Bukhari cancels meet with Mulayam Singh
New Delhi: Differences between the Samajwadi Party and Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmad Bukhari appeared to have deepened on Wednesday.
Imam Bukhari is reported to have cancelled his scheduled meeting with SP president Mulayam Singh Yadav, who flew to the national capital to meet the Shahi Imam who is upset over allocation of MLC seats to Muslims.
Bukhari today made it clear that he wants at least three Legislative Council seats out of the eight for Muslims.
Imam Bukhari earlier had a war of words with senior SP leader Mohd Azam Khan who challenged him to contest and win the mayoral elections from Moradabad.
Launching a broadside against Bukhari, Azam Khan had said if Imam Bukhari was confident about his standing amongst the Muslims in Uttar Pradesh, he should contest from Moradabad, where his wife hails from.
"If Bukhari wins, I will quit active politics and retire," Azam Khan fumed.
The two Muslim leaders are at war with each other for long and the hostilities escalated last week after the Imam wrote a terse letter to Mulayam Singh and returned the party ticket given to his son-in-law Umar Khan. He had also targeted Azam Khan, following which the latter has also spewed fire at the Imam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!
- Black money window: I-T dept creates special tab on website
- India's growth may dip by 0.60% on Brexit, predicts Morgan Stanley
- Players did not lose faith in Hodgson: Wayne Rooney