Imam Bukhari cancels meet with Mulayam Singh
New Delhi: Differences between the Samajwadi Party and Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmad Bukhari appeared to have deepened on Wednesday.
Imam Bukhari is reported to have cancelled his scheduled meeting with SP president Mulayam Singh Yadav, who flew to the national capital to meet the Shahi Imam who is upset over allocation of MLC seats to Muslims.
Bukhari today made it clear that he wants at least three Legislative Council seats out of the eight for Muslims.
Imam Bukhari earlier had a war of words with senior SP leader Mohd Azam Khan who challenged him to contest and win the mayoral elections from Moradabad.
Launching a broadside against Bukhari, Azam Khan had said if Imam Bukhari was confident about his standing amongst the Muslims in Uttar Pradesh, he should contest from Moradabad, where his wife hails from.
"If Bukhari wins, I will quit active politics and retire," Azam Khan fumed.
The two Muslim leaders are at war with each other for long and the hostilities escalated last week after the Imam wrote a terse letter to Mulayam Singh and returned the party ticket given to his son-in-law Umar Khan. He had also targeted Azam Khan, following which the latter has also spewed fire at the Imam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- TIRUN announces maiden voyage of world's largest cruise ship
- Jayalalithaa takes oath as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Katrina Kaif looks as pretty as a picture on 'Jagga Jasoos' sets in Morocco! View pics
- If you think you are popular on social media then here’s a reality check
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders in Tehran today