Imrana case: Father-in-law gets bail
Muzaffarnagar: The Allahabad High Court has granted bail to 70-year-old Ali Mohammed convicted by a lower court of raping his daughter-in law Imrana, that had prompted a minority community panchayat to direct her to treat her husband as a son, sparking a nation-wide furore.
Justice Surender Kumar yesterday granted bail to Ali Mohammed on the ground that he has already spent eight years in jail since his arrest on June 13, 2005.
On October 19, 2006, the District and Sessions court had held Ali Mohammed guilty of raping Imrana and sentenced him to 10-year prison term.
The incident, which occurred on June 6, 2005, had grabbed much attention nationwide when a minority community panchayat passed an edict that after the rape, Imrana, mother of five, would have to treat her husband as her son and that her marriage will be null and void.
Imrana`s husband Noor Ilahi has welcomed the court order.
Reacting to the ruling, Ilahi, who continues to live with Imrana at Kookra village near here despite the panchayat`s ruling nulling their marriage, said it is good news.
Imrana, however, refused to comment on the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery