Imrana case: Father-in-law gets bail
Muzaffarnagar: The Allahabad High Court has granted bail to 70-year-old Ali Mohammed convicted by a lower court of raping his daughter-in law Imrana, that had prompted a minority community panchayat to direct her to treat her husband as a son, sparking a nation-wide furore.
Justice Surender Kumar yesterday granted bail to Ali Mohammed on the ground that he has already spent eight years in jail since his arrest on June 13, 2005.
On October 19, 2006, the District and Sessions court had held Ali Mohammed guilty of raping Imrana and sentenced him to 10-year prison term.
The incident, which occurred on June 6, 2005, had grabbed much attention nationwide when a minority community panchayat passed an edict that after the rape, Imrana, mother of five, would have to treat her husband as her son and that her marriage will be null and void.
Imrana`s husband Noor Ilahi has welcomed the court order.
Reacting to the ruling, Ilahi, who continues to live with Imrana at Kookra village near here despite the panchayat`s ruling nulling their marriage, said it is good news.
Imrana, however, refused to comment on the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!