In backdrop of riots, SP leaders meet to discuss poll strategy
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party, whose government in Uttar Pradesh drew flak for its handling of Muzaffarnagar riots, today said it will approach the masses ahead of Lok Sabha polls and tell them how "communal and casteist forces" were trying to mislead people.
Party top brass, including SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, met here to discuss strategy for the crucial Lok Sabha polls.
After the state parliamentary board meeting, it was decided to hold a barrage of rallies across the state to tell people "how communal and casteist forces were trying to mislead people," SP spokesperson Rajendra Chowdhury said.
Chowdhury affirmed that there was no threat to party`s prospects from Congress scion Rahul Gandhi and BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi as "we are banking on the work we have done for the people".
He said the party will reach out to the masses with its secular ideology, and apprise them of the works done by the state government.
Chowdhury said party supremo Mulayam Singh sees the 2014 polls as very crucial and emphasised on united efforts to ensure victory of SP candidates.
"While Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is holding programmes at district level, over a dozen rallies of Mulayam Singh Yadav will also be held in the days to come. Programme of rallies is being finalised by the party," Chowdhury said.
The party also decided to field Shivkanya Khushwaha, wife of jailed former minister Babu Singh Kushwaha, from the Ghazipur Lok Sabha seat.
Kushwaha, who was minister in the previous Mayawati regime, is in jail in connection with NRHM scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH