In backdrop of riots, SP leaders meet to discuss poll strategy
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party, whose government in Uttar Pradesh drew flak for its handling of Muzaffarnagar riots, today said it will approach the masses ahead of Lok Sabha polls and tell them how "communal and casteist forces" were trying to mislead people.
Party top brass, including SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, met here to discuss strategy for the crucial Lok Sabha polls.
After the state parliamentary board meeting, it was decided to hold a barrage of rallies across the state to tell people "how communal and casteist forces were trying to mislead people," SP spokesperson Rajendra Chowdhury said.
Chowdhury affirmed that there was no threat to party`s prospects from Congress scion Rahul Gandhi and BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi as "we are banking on the work we have done for the people".
He said the party will reach out to the masses with its secular ideology, and apprise them of the works done by the state government.
Chowdhury said party supremo Mulayam Singh sees the 2014 polls as very crucial and emphasised on united efforts to ensure victory of SP candidates.
"While Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is holding programmes at district level, over a dozen rallies of Mulayam Singh Yadav will also be held in the days to come. Programme of rallies is being finalised by the party," Chowdhury said.
The party also decided to field Shivkanya Khushwaha, wife of jailed former minister Babu Singh Kushwaha, from the Ghazipur Lok Sabha seat.
Kushwaha, who was minister in the previous Mayawati regime, is in jail in connection with NRHM scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!