In dock for rape, BSP MLA accuses victim of theft
New Delhi: In a shocking case, an MLA of the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of raping a minor and then falsely implicating the victim in a theft case.
As per reports Friday, the minor girl was raped by Banda MLA Purshottam Naresh when she approached him for help a few days ago.
The girl alleges that when she threatened to expose the deeds of the BSP MLA, he used his influence to get her implicated in a false theft case and leading to her arrest and subsequent imprisonment.
The matter came to fore when the girl got to meet her family members when she was brought by the police to the district court in Banda earlier this week.
"I was severally beaten by the MLA’s goons when I threatened to expose his deeds. He also said that I would rot in the jail if I exposed him,” the minor girl was quoted as saying.
According to reports the gram-pradhan (village panchayat head) of the girl’s village in Banda had sold her to someone and had been terrorising her father. The pradhan had also threatened her father with dire consequences, she alleged.
The girl had approached the local MLA with a request to save her from the clutches of the pradhan, when the latter took advantage of her situation and raped her.
Local woman activists in Banda have embarked on an indefinite fast against the police inaction and demanding the MLA’s arrest. “The MLA must be arrested forthwith and proceeded against,’’ said Devmala Kushwaha, one of the activists.
The opposition parties are also up in arms demanding action against the MLA.
However, Naresh has rubbished all allegations levelled against him by the girl, terming it as a “conspiracy by his political opponents to tarnish his image.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test