India can`t progress if women are uneducated, unsafe: Akhilesh Yadav
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday said the country could not progress if women are not educated and safe, and the state government was making all efforts to ensure their safety.
"Women comprise half of our population therefore their education and security is must at all levels. SP government is making continuous efforts in this direction," Akhilesh said at a function to felicitate women fighting for the rights of others.
He said that directives have been issued to check crimes against women and speedy punishment would be handed over to those involved in such offences.
Akhilesh said that 1090 women powerline has helped lakh of girls and women and soon it would be extended to the district headquarters.
He said that the facility was emulated by other state governments as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened