India`s oldest prisoner freed from jail
Gorakhpur (UP): India`s oldest prisoner
Brij Bihari Pandey has been freed from a jail here at the age
of 108, having spent 24 years behind bars for committing
Bihari was 84 when he along with 15 others had killed
one Bhagwant Pandey and three others in Maharajganj district
on June 15, 1987.
The killing stemmed from Bihari`s desire to become a
`mahant` of the local Jagannath temple. After one Ramanujdas
was elected to the post in his place, an angry Bihari plotted
the mahant`s murder and that of three others.
In December 2009, Bihari and other accused were held
guilty by a lower court and sentenced to life imprisonment,
Jailor of Divisional Jail Navami Lal said.
Bihari is suffering from various ailments and is
almost bed ridden and undergoing treatment.
In the last week of May, Bihari along with 10 other
convicts, was granted bail by the Allahabad High Court, which
paved way for his release.
"Following the court`s order, he was released from the
jail yesterday after his nephew`s son completed the
formalities," sources here said.
As Bihari was unable to walk, a car was provided near
his cell to bring him home, his family members said.
In 2010, the officer of the Maharajganj district
magistrate had sent a clemency petition to the Uttar Pradesh
governor for setting him free in view of his advanced age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Antrix-Devas deal: India to appeal against Hague tribunal's verdict
- Development initiatives got huge setback in J&K: Mehbooba
- The answer to past earthquakes lies with the ancient Himalayan temples!
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt
- Arvind Kejriwal says PM Narendra Modi can even get him killed; now, BJP's reaction is interesting - READ