India`s oldest prisoner freed from jail
Gorakhpur (UP): India`s oldest prisoner
Brij Bihari Pandey has been freed from a jail here at the age
of 108, having spent 24 years behind bars for committing
Bihari was 84 when he along with 15 others had killed
one Bhagwant Pandey and three others in Maharajganj district
on June 15, 1987.
The killing stemmed from Bihari`s desire to become a
`mahant` of the local Jagannath temple. After one Ramanujdas
was elected to the post in his place, an angry Bihari plotted
the mahant`s murder and that of three others.
In December 2009, Bihari and other accused were held
guilty by a lower court and sentenced to life imprisonment,
Jailor of Divisional Jail Navami Lal said.
Bihari is suffering from various ailments and is
almost bed ridden and undergoing treatment.
In the last week of May, Bihari along with 10 other
convicts, was granted bail by the Allahabad High Court, which
paved way for his release.
"Following the court`s order, he was released from the
jail yesterday after his nephew`s son completed the
formalities," sources here said.
As Bihari was unable to walk, a car was provided near
his cell to bring him home, his family members said.
In 2010, the officer of the Maharajganj district
magistrate had sent a clemency petition to the Uttar Pradesh
governor for setting him free in view of his advanced age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow