India`s oldest prisoner freed from jail
Gorakhpur (UP): India`s oldest prisoner
Brij Bihari Pandey has been freed from a jail here at the age
of 108, having spent 24 years behind bars for committing
Bihari was 84 when he along with 15 others had killed
one Bhagwant Pandey and three others in Maharajganj district
on June 15, 1987.
The killing stemmed from Bihari`s desire to become a
`mahant` of the local Jagannath temple. After one Ramanujdas
was elected to the post in his place, an angry Bihari plotted
the mahant`s murder and that of three others.
In December 2009, Bihari and other accused were held
guilty by a lower court and sentenced to life imprisonment,
Jailor of Divisional Jail Navami Lal said.
Bihari is suffering from various ailments and is
almost bed ridden and undergoing treatment.
In the last week of May, Bihari along with 10 other
convicts, was granted bail by the Allahabad High Court, which
paved way for his release.
"Following the court`s order, he was released from the
jail yesterday after his nephew`s son completed the
formalities," sources here said.
As Bihari was unable to walk, a car was provided near
his cell to bring him home, his family members said.
In 2010, the officer of the Maharajganj district
magistrate had sent a clemency petition to the Uttar Pradesh
governor for setting him free in view of his advanced age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video