Infighting in BJP over Nandi`s induction
Allahabad: Angry protests were on Thursday surfaced at BJP office here with a section of party`s local unit demanding that the issue of possible induction of an expelled BSP leader into the party fold should be addressed.
The BJP supporters were livid over the fact that former Uttar Pradesh minister Nandgopal Gupta (Nandi) has been spreading the word that he was in touch with the BJP`s top leadership.
He (Gupta) reclaimed that they were impressed with his ability to generate funds and his influence among the traders` community, the BJP supporters claimed.
However, BJP city unit president Shashi Varshney tried to pacify the agitated party workers saying no decision has been taken with regard to the induction of Gupta.
Gupta and his wife Abhilasha who is currently the city mayor, were expelled from BSP earlier this week for anti-party activity.
There have been reports that Gupta has been trying to gain an entry into the BJP which is expected to revive its strength in the state in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Many BJP supporters have been opposed to the move as Gupta had begun his political career by defeating BJP heavyweight Kesrinath Tripathy in 2007 assembly polls. During his stint as cabinet minister, he was accused of victimising the businessmen in his Allahabad south constituency.
Meanwhile, a case has been registered against more than 30 activists of the BJP youth wing -- Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha -- in view of the Model Code of Conduct here at the George Town police station yesterday, who had staged a demonstration in protest against the possible induction of the expelled BSP leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday