Infighting in UP Congress after poll debacle
Lucknow: Infighting in Congress in the wake
of its electoral debacle in Uttar Pradesh came out in the open
with PCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi today saying that there
should no blame-game when the party is in crisis.
She was responding to allegations made by party MP from
Sultanpur, Sanjay Singh that neither the party nor several of
the candidates from Amethi wanted him to campaign during the
polls. His wife Ameeta Singh lost to an SP candidate in the
"The whole party cadre was collectively responsible for
the showing in the state. It is wrong to indulge in a blame-
game at this moment when the party is in crisis, and it was
the duty of the MP to campaign," Joshi said reporters here.
She said leaders at the local level acted "irresponsibly"
and there was a "lot of sabotage" within the party at that
"However, sabotage at the local level was not the only
reason for the party`s defeat as it was in the case of many
parties," she said.
Joshi said that she was going to Delhi tomorrow and will
meet UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in a day or two.
When asked about her resignation in the face of poor
performance of the Congress in the polls, she said that the
matter will be discussed in the meeting.
Earlier, Singh said, "It is unfortunate (that he did not
campaign), but neither the party, nor the candidates wanted me
to be there...So I didn`t go."
He said, "Candidates didn`t feel that I being a Member of
Parliament is going to help. They thought they themselves were
"These gentlemen who were made candidates in my five
segments opposed me. I was of the view they may lose or that
there was no candidate who could win in these five segments."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?