Infighting in UP Congress after poll debacle
Lucknow: Infighting in Congress in the wake of its electoral debacle in Uttar Pradesh came out in the open with PCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi on Saturday saying that there should be no blame-game when the party is in crisis.
She was responding to allegations made by party MP from Sultanpur, Sanjay Singh that neither the party nor several of the candidates from Amethi wanted him to campaign during the polls. His wife Ameeta Singh lost to an SP candidate in the district.
"The whole party cadre was collectively responsible for the showing in the state. It is wrong to indulge in a blame game at this moment when the party is in crisis, and it was the duty of the MP to campaign," Joshi said reporters here.
She said leaders at the local level acted "irresponsibly" and there was a "lot of sabotage" within the party at that level.
"However, sabotage at the local level was not the only reason for the party`s defeat as it was in the case of many parties," she said.
Joshi said that she was going to Delhi tomorrow and will meet UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in a day or two.
When asked about her resignation in the face of poor performance of the Congress in the polls, she said that the matter will be discussed in the meeting.
Earlier, Singh said, "It is unfortunate (that he did not campaign), but neither the party, nor the candidates wanted me to be there...So I didn`t go."
He said, "Candidates didn`t feel that I being a Member of Parliament is going to help. They thought they themselves were enough.
"These gentlemen who were made candidates in my five segments opposed me. I was of the view they may lose or that there was no candidate who could win in these five segments," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months