Infighting in UP Congress after poll debacle
Lucknow: Infighting in Congress in the wake of its electoral debacle in Uttar Pradesh came out in the open with PCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi on Saturday saying that there should be no blame-game when the party is in crisis.
She was responding to allegations made by party MP from Sultanpur, Sanjay Singh that neither the party nor several of the candidates from Amethi wanted him to campaign during the polls. His wife Ameeta Singh lost to an SP candidate in the district.
"The whole party cadre was collectively responsible for the showing in the state. It is wrong to indulge in a blame game at this moment when the party is in crisis, and it was the duty of the MP to campaign," Joshi said reporters here.
She said leaders at the local level acted "irresponsibly" and there was a "lot of sabotage" within the party at that level.
"However, sabotage at the local level was not the only reason for the party`s defeat as it was in the case of many parties," she said.
Joshi said that she was going to Delhi tomorrow and will meet UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in a day or two.
When asked about her resignation in the face of poor performance of the Congress in the polls, she said that the matter will be discussed in the meeting.
Earlier, Singh said, "It is unfortunate (that he did not campaign), but neither the party, nor the candidates wanted me to be there...So I didn`t go."
He said, "Candidates didn`t feel that I being a Member of Parliament is going to help. They thought they themselves were enough.
"These gentlemen who were made candidates in my five segments opposed me. I was of the view they may lose or that there was no candidate who could win in these five segments," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what