Injustice to any bureaucrat should not be done: Congress
New Delhi: Amid hardening of SP`s stand on IAS officer Durga Shakhi Nagpal`s suspension issue, Congress on Monday reminded the party that any government functions taking judiciary, legislature and executive together.
Party spokesperson Meem Afzal said injustice to any bureaucrat should not be done and insisted that Nagpal was not suspended because of the demolition of any mosque wall but due to taking actions against the sand mafia.
At the same, he dismissed suggestions that Jaisalmer Superintendent of Police Pankaj Choudhary was transferred because he had reopened history-sheets against Gazi Fakir, 78-year-old father of Pokhran Congress MLA Saleh Mohammed.
"This is absolutely wrong and a lie to say that the police officer was transferred because of re-opening a case against Fakir. It was a Rajasthan government order that cases against history-sheeters won`t be closed.
"The Gazi Fakir case was 48 years old case... This was an entirely routine transfer and Chowdhary was transferred along with 29 officers," Afzal said.
Asked about remarks of SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav that Uttar Pradesh government does not want any IAS officers and let the Centre withdraw all these officers from UP and it will run the state with its own officers, Afzal said that he was a very senior leader and only he can explain what he said.
"But any government, be it Centre or State, it functions only by taking everyone along with it, judiciary, legislature and executive. What will happen if you separate any of the three, you better ask him," the Congress spokesperson said.
Afzal also rejected contentions that the Congress` unequivocal condemnation of the incident began only after party President Sonia Gandhi on Saturday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh saying that the honest officer should not be "unfairly treated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy