Inmate`s death: Meerut jail directed to pay compensation
Meerut: The authorities of the district jail here have been directed by the Human Rights Commission to pay compensation to the family members of a detainee who died due to their negligence, sources said on Thursday.
Additional Director General (Prison) Yogesh Kumar Shukla, through a letter to the district magistrate, has directed Meerut jail authorities to pay Rs three lakhs to the dependants of Motiram, the deceased detainee, they said.
Motiram, who was suffering from kidney failure and tuberculosis, died in 2007 because he could not receive proper medical care despite the directions of the jail doctor.
After a magisterial investigation was launched into his death on the demand of his family members, the Human Rights Commission corroborated the alleged negligence on part of the jail authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman