Inmate`s death: Meerut jail directed to pay compensation
Meerut: The authorities of the district jail here have been directed by the Human Rights Commission to pay compensation to the family members of a detainee who died due to their negligence, sources said on Thursday.
Additional Director General (Prison) Yogesh Kumar Shukla, through a letter to the district magistrate, has directed Meerut jail authorities to pay Rs three lakhs to the dependants of Motiram, the deceased detainee, they said.
Motiram, who was suffering from kidney failure and tuberculosis, died in 2007 because he could not receive proper medical care despite the directions of the jail doctor.
After a magisterial investigation was launched into his death on the demand of his family members, the Human Rights Commission corroborated the alleged negligence on part of the jail authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test