Inmate`s death: Meerut jail directed to pay compensation
Meerut: The authorities of the district jail here have been directed by the Human Rights Commission to pay compensation to the family members of a detainee who died due to their negligence, sources said on Thursday.
Additional Director General (Prison) Yogesh Kumar Shukla, through a letter to the district magistrate, has directed Meerut jail authorities to pay Rs three lakhs to the dependants of Motiram, the deceased detainee, they said.
Motiram, who was suffering from kidney failure and tuberculosis, died in 2007 because he could not receive proper medical care despite the directions of the jail doctor.
After a magisterial investigation was launched into his death on the demand of his family members, the Human Rights Commission corroborated the alleged negligence on part of the jail authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown