Inter-state drug racket busted, three held
Allahabad: An inter-state drugs racket was busted here Monday with the arrest of three persons hailing from Orissa and seizure of a truck containing 700 kg of hemp, worth around Rs 20 crore in the international market, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, a Special Operations Group of the district police intercepted the truck, carrying four smugglers in Shivkuti area of the city, they said.
The smugglers, identified as Trilochan and Janmejay Sahu, both hailing from Jajpur district of Orissa and Niranjan Sahu from Khurd district of the state were arrested along with the narcotics, police said.
However, their fourth accomplice managed to flee the spot, they said.
During interrogation, the trio admitted that they were taking the drugs to the neighbouring district of Mirzapur from where they intended to sell it to various dealers.
The accused has been booked under the relevant sections of NDPS Act while a manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding smuggler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition