Issue of unemployment benefit sparks BJP walkout
Lucknow: Opposition BJP members on Friday a walkout from the Uttar Pradesh Assembly alleging that the Samajwadi Party government was befooling youths of the state in the name of giving them unemployment allowance.
BJP leader Hukum Singh claimed that only a select few were actually receiving the allowance while there was no provision to redress the grievances of the rest, and led the walkout by his party members during question hour.
Earlier, in its reply to a question raised by BJP member Satish Mahana, Cabinet Minister Ambika Chowdhury said that there were more than 63 lakh unemployed youths in the state of whom 46.54 lakh had applied for jobs.
As to the unemployment allowance, Chowdhury said that an amount of Rs 1,000 per month was being extended to over 10 lakh youths who fulfilled the criteria out of a total 12 lakh who had registered for the benefit.
But pointing out that, as per the norm fixed by the government, only those between 25-40 years of age were entitled for unemployment allowance, Mahana argued that jobless youth in the 18-25 age group, too, should be considered for the dole.
To this the minister replied that norms to determine those eligible for unemployment allowance had already been fixed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town