Issue of unemployment benefit sparks BJP walkout
Lucknow: Opposition BJP members on Friday a walkout from the Uttar Pradesh Assembly alleging that the Samajwadi Party government was befooling youths of the state in the name of giving them unemployment allowance.
BJP leader Hukum Singh claimed that only a select few were actually receiving the allowance while there was no provision to redress the grievances of the rest, and led the walkout by his party members during question hour.
Earlier, in its reply to a question raised by BJP member Satish Mahana, Cabinet Minister Ambika Chowdhury said that there were more than 63 lakh unemployed youths in the state of whom 46.54 lakh had applied for jobs.
As to the unemployment allowance, Chowdhury said that an amount of Rs 1,000 per month was being extended to over 10 lakh youths who fulfilled the criteria out of a total 12 lakh who had registered for the benefit.
But pointing out that, as per the norm fixed by the government, only those between 25-40 years of age were entitled for unemployment allowance, Mahana argued that jobless youth in the 18-25 age group, too, should be considered for the dole.
To this the minister replied that norms to determine those eligible for unemployment allowance had already been fixed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range