Issue of unemployment benefit sparks BJP walkout
Lucknow: Opposition BJP members on Friday a walkout from the Uttar Pradesh Assembly alleging that the Samajwadi Party government was befooling youths of the state in the name of giving them unemployment allowance.
BJP leader Hukum Singh claimed that only a select few were actually receiving the allowance while there was no provision to redress the grievances of the rest, and led the walkout by his party members during question hour.
Earlier, in its reply to a question raised by BJP member Satish Mahana, Cabinet Minister Ambika Chowdhury said that there were more than 63 lakh unemployed youths in the state of whom 46.54 lakh had applied for jobs.
As to the unemployment allowance, Chowdhury said that an amount of Rs 1,000 per month was being extended to over 10 lakh youths who fulfilled the criteria out of a total 12 lakh who had registered for the benefit.
But pointing out that, as per the norm fixed by the government, only those between 25-40 years of age were entitled for unemployment allowance, Mahana argued that jobless youth in the 18-25 age group, too, should be considered for the dole.
To this the minister replied that norms to determine those eligible for unemployment allowance had already been fixed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital