Issue of unemployment benefit sparks BJP walkout
Lucknow: Opposition BJP members on Friday a walkout from the Uttar Pradesh Assembly alleging that the Samajwadi Party government was befooling youths of the state in the name of giving them unemployment allowance.
BJP leader Hukum Singh claimed that only a select few were actually receiving the allowance while there was no provision to redress the grievances of the rest, and led the walkout by his party members during question hour.
Earlier, in its reply to a question raised by BJP member Satish Mahana, Cabinet Minister Ambika Chowdhury said that there were more than 63 lakh unemployed youths in the state of whom 46.54 lakh had applied for jobs.
As to the unemployment allowance, Chowdhury said that an amount of Rs 1,000 per month was being extended to over 10 lakh youths who fulfilled the criteria out of a total 12 lakh who had registered for the benefit.
But pointing out that, as per the norm fixed by the government, only those between 25-40 years of age were entitled for unemployment allowance, Mahana argued that jobless youth in the 18-25 age group, too, should be considered for the dole.
To this the minister replied that norms to determine those eligible for unemployment allowance had already been fixed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case