Jail inmate scores 80.4% in class XII board exam
Ghaziabad: A Meerut district jail inmate, accused of committing murder, has scored 80.4 percent in class XII UP Board examinations, the highest among prisoners in the state, a senior official said.
Sonu, who was lodged in the prison since 2009 on a murder charge, appeared for higher secondary examination of UP Board from the prison examination centre here.
"Sonu has got distinction in all subjects, including English, and he was overjoyed last evening when he saw his result on the computer here," Jail Superintendent VK Singh
He said 20 inmates from different jails of Meerut division applied for the class XII examination out of which 17 appeared for the exams.
Out of which 16 were declared successful, with two of them getting a first division with distinction. Only one examinee was unsuccessful, he said.
"Sonu`s percentage is only five per cent less than the
percentage of the topper of UP Board in Meerut Division," he
"The view that prisons produce criminals is now
changing," District Magistrate R Ramesh Kumar has said.
More opportunities of higher education will be provided
to jail inmates and convicted criminals if they are interested
in getting education, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'