Jail officials suspended, probe ordered in undertrials` escape
Lucknow: Taking a serious note of the escape of four undertrials from the Mathura district jail, the Uttar Pradesh government has suspended three jail officers and ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident.
Jail superintendent, jailor and deputy jailor of the prison were suspended, officials said.
"City Magistrate Manoj Kumar would probe the incident," District Magistrate Dinesh Chandra Shukla said.
The government has also announced a reward of Rs 5,000 on the four criminals, officials said.
The four undertrials escaped yesterday after they managed to scale the high prison wall by tying together their `dhoties` and placing few bricks at other end of it.
Superintendent of Police Ram Lal Verma said an FIR has been lodged against the four and efforts are on to nab them.
District Bar President Alok Singh said the involvement of jail staff in the incident is not being ruled out.
"The manner in which such a serious incident was reported to the district administration points to the connivance of jail staff. While the undertrials fled at about 5:30 PM, the
administration was informed at about 8 PM," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners
- Political novice Gudni Johannesson elected Iceland president amid football fever