Jail officials suspended, probe ordered in undertrials` escape
Lucknow: Taking a serious note of the escape of four undertrials from the Mathura district jail, the Uttar Pradesh government has suspended three jail officers and ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident.
Jail superintendent, jailor and deputy jailor of the prison were suspended, officials said.
"City Magistrate Manoj Kumar would probe the incident," District Magistrate Dinesh Chandra Shukla said.
The government has also announced a reward of Rs 5,000 on the four criminals, officials said.
The four undertrials escaped yesterday after they managed to scale the high prison wall by tying together their `dhoties` and placing few bricks at other end of it.
Superintendent of Police Ram Lal Verma said an FIR has been lodged against the four and efforts are on to nab them.
District Bar President Alok Singh said the involvement of jail staff in the incident is not being ruled out.
"The manner in which such a serious incident was reported to the district administration points to the connivance of jail staff. While the undertrials fled at about 5:30 PM, the
administration was informed at about 8 PM," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire