Jailed farmer leader Tewatia files nomination
Greater Noida: Jailed farmer leader Manvir
Singh Tewatia, who is out on parole, filed his nomination
papers as JD-U candidate for Jewar assembly seat on Wednesday.
On court`s directives, Tewatia came out on parole
yesterday but was unable to completed the work prior to filing
He had led the farmer agitation in Bhatta Parsaul
villages demanding higher compensation and amendment in Land
Acquisition Act. He was arrested on July 9, 2011 on charges on
murder and rioting.
Two farmers and two policemen were killed in the clashes
and 23 cases of rioting and kidnapping of government officials
on several occasion were registered against Tewatia.
Besides him, five other candidates filed nomination
papers for Jewar seat.
Congress has fielded Dhirendra Singh as its candidate
from the constituency.
Interestingly, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi
sneaked into Bhatta Parsaul despite heavy police presence and
restrictions by the administration on Singh`s bike.
Ved Ram Bhatti, a cabinet minister in Mayawati government
is the BSP candidate from the seat. While Samajwadi Party has
fielded Bijendra Singh, BJP has high hopes on Surinder Singh
15 candidates have filed nomination papers from Jewar
constituency till date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MEA rules out India-Pakistan bilateral talks during SAARC meet in Islamabad
- Here comes a solar cell that functions like a plant
- BJP MP Anurag Thakur is Lt Anurag Thakur now, joins Territorial Army – Watch his pics here
- What an achievement! Anurag Thakur becomes first BJP MP to be commissioned into Territorial Army
- Rahul Gandhi kicks off Congress' poll campaign in Lucknow; vows to make UP no. 1 state, praises Sheila Dikshit