Jaiswal calls govt depts blood suckers, relents
Kanpur: Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal courted controversy by saying that many government departments suck blood like mosquitoes but he clarified on Monday
this remark was not aimed at the Finance Ministry.
"For only 100 crore rupees revenue I realise how much
you will have to go through. Like mosquitoes in the night, in
our country there are some departments that also suck blood,"
he said yesterday at an event in Kanpur where he backed the
bullion trader’s demand for a roll back of the budget proposal
to hike duty on jewellery.
"The government should devise another way to collect Rs
100 crore revenue, we (businessmen) will pay that," he had
Blaming the media for the controversy over his statement
on the excise duty hike on jewellery, Jaiswal today said his
statement on sucking blood was "in connection with many
government departments and not the Finance Ministry."
"Some channels have shown that I have made some comments
on the Finance Ministry. It is unfortunate that channels don`t
show (the correct picture)," he told reporters at the
Parliament House complex in Delhi.
In his clarification, Jaiswal asserted "I had said that
in many departments officials harrass businessmen, suck their
blood, this is unfortunate.
"Many departments suck blood of employees, businessmen
but I had not said in connection with the Finance Ministry."
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee downplayed
Jaiswal`s apparent opposition to the budget proposal to hike
excise duty on jewellery, saying the Coal Minister has
"clarified" to him about his statement and "it is absolutely
"No, no ... he (Jaiswal) told me, it is absolutely
nothing. He has clarified it," Mukherjee told reporters.
Bullion traders in various parts of the country are on
strike since March 17 in protest against budgetary proposals
of doubling import duty on gold and imposition of excise duty
on unbranded jewellery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections