Jaiswal calls govt depts blood suckers, relents
Kanpur: Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal courted controversy by saying that many government departments suck blood like mosquitoes but he clarified on Monday
this remark was not aimed at the Finance Ministry.
"For only 100 crore rupees revenue I realise how much
you will have to go through. Like mosquitoes in the night, in
our country there are some departments that also suck blood,"
he said yesterday at an event in Kanpur where he backed the
bullion trader’s demand for a roll back of the budget proposal
to hike duty on jewellery.
"The government should devise another way to collect Rs
100 crore revenue, we (businessmen) will pay that," he had
Blaming the media for the controversy over his statement
on the excise duty hike on jewellery, Jaiswal today said his
statement on sucking blood was "in connection with many
government departments and not the Finance Ministry."
"Some channels have shown that I have made some comments
on the Finance Ministry. It is unfortunate that channels don`t
show (the correct picture)," he told reporters at the
Parliament House complex in Delhi.
In his clarification, Jaiswal asserted "I had said that
in many departments officials harrass businessmen, suck their
blood, this is unfortunate.
"Many departments suck blood of employees, businessmen
but I had not said in connection with the Finance Ministry."
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee downplayed
Jaiswal`s apparent opposition to the budget proposal to hike
excise duty on jewellery, saying the Coal Minister has
"clarified" to him about his statement and "it is absolutely
"No, no ... he (Jaiswal) told me, it is absolutely
nothing. He has clarified it," Mukherjee told reporters.
Bullion traders in various parts of the country are on
strike since March 17 in protest against budgetary proposals
of doubling import duty on gold and imposition of excise duty
on unbranded jewellery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video