Jaiswal calls govt depts blood suckers, relents
Kanpur: Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal courted controversy by saying that many government departments suck blood like mosquitoes but he clarified on Monday
this remark was not aimed at the Finance Ministry.
"For only 100 crore rupees revenue I realise how much
you will have to go through. Like mosquitoes in the night, in
our country there are some departments that also suck blood,"
he said yesterday at an event in Kanpur where he backed the
bullion trader’s demand for a roll back of the budget proposal
to hike duty on jewellery.
"The government should devise another way to collect Rs
100 crore revenue, we (businessmen) will pay that," he had
Blaming the media for the controversy over his statement
on the excise duty hike on jewellery, Jaiswal today said his
statement on sucking blood was "in connection with many
government departments and not the Finance Ministry."
"Some channels have shown that I have made some comments
on the Finance Ministry. It is unfortunate that channels don`t
show (the correct picture)," he told reporters at the
Parliament House complex in Delhi.
In his clarification, Jaiswal asserted "I had said that
in many departments officials harrass businessmen, suck their
blood, this is unfortunate.
"Many departments suck blood of employees, businessmen
but I had not said in connection with the Finance Ministry."
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee downplayed
Jaiswal`s apparent opposition to the budget proposal to hike
excise duty on jewellery, saying the Coal Minister has
"clarified" to him about his statement and "it is absolutely
"No, no ... he (Jaiswal) told me, it is absolutely
nothing. He has clarified it," Mukherjee told reporters.
Bullion traders in various parts of the country are on
strike since March 17 in protest against budgetary proposals
of doubling import duty on gold and imposition of excise duty
on unbranded jewellery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference