Jaswant is `over reacting`, needs broad shoulders: Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP leader Arun Jaitley today criticised rebel leader Jaswant Singh saying he was "over reacting" to the denial of ticket to him from Barmer.
He said Singh, a former union minister who had held various important portfolios at the Centre, should have "broad shoulders" to take no once after having been sent to Parliament nine times in the past.
"It is unfortunate that the party could not accommodate him because of various winnability considerations in the seat. He is a very senior member and he should have realised this.
"And after realising this, after all the party has sent him to Parliament nine times, if he had to wait this time, there is nothing wrong in it," he told PTI when asked about Singh contesting the elections as an Independent from Barmer.
Singh has also been attacking the leadership including Narendra Modi ever since the denial of ticket last week.
"People are too clever that they can see where the party is wrong and where the party is correct. I think in this case the individual concerned has over reacted.
"I think ambition has to be seen with loyalty and I passed that test. I am not sure whether I can say that about some others. I think, he is overreacting," Jaitley said.
He was reacting to a question on Singh`s remarks that "Jaitley is not an example of lacking ambitions. His aspirations are punishing."
"If for 34 years, nine times you are sent into Parliament. I am sure, you should have the broad shoulders to take no once. I am not for the moment saying that. There is a lot of space for seniors to guide the party," Jaitley said.
About the controversy over the candidature of senior leaders L K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi, he said "the episodes of Dr Joshi and Advaniji are only in the media and in party there was no such real episode."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?