Jaswant is `over reacting`, needs broad shoulders: Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP leader Arun Jaitley today criticised rebel leader Jaswant Singh saying he was "over reacting" to the denial of ticket to him from Barmer.
He said Singh, a former union minister who had held various important portfolios at the Centre, should have "broad shoulders" to take no once after having been sent to Parliament nine times in the past.
"It is unfortunate that the party could not accommodate him because of various winnability considerations in the seat. He is a very senior member and he should have realised this.
"And after realising this, after all the party has sent him to Parliament nine times, if he had to wait this time, there is nothing wrong in it," he told PTI when asked about Singh contesting the elections as an Independent from Barmer.
Singh has also been attacking the leadership including Narendra Modi ever since the denial of ticket last week.
"People are too clever that they can see where the party is wrong and where the party is correct. I think in this case the individual concerned has over reacted.
"I think ambition has to be seen with loyalty and I passed that test. I am not sure whether I can say that about some others. I think, he is overreacting," Jaitley said.
He was reacting to a question on Singh`s remarks that "Jaitley is not an example of lacking ambitions. His aspirations are punishing."
"If for 34 years, nine times you are sent into Parliament. I am sure, you should have the broad shoulders to take no once. I am not for the moment saying that. There is a lot of space for seniors to guide the party," Jaitley said.
About the controversy over the candidature of senior leaders L K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi, he said "the episodes of Dr Joshi and Advaniji are only in the media and in party there was no such real episode."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day