Jat activists start dharna for 27% reservation
Mathura: Indefinite dharna by Jat activists, who are demanding 27 percent reservation for their community in government jobs under OBC category, today started here amid tight security.
The protesters, under the banner of Akhil Bhartiya Jat Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti, started the protest at Rasulpur village under Magorra area today.
Since the spot is the border village of UP and Rajasthan, massive police force of both the states have been deployed, sources said.
Railways have also deployed RPF in the area.
"We would not interfere in the dharna as long as it is peaceful. Everybody has the right to put his demand in a peaceful manner," ADM Avadhesh Tewari said.
"The dharna would stretch to 100 places in 14 states within a week.
"We would stop the train at 100 places, the moment we get the signal from our national president," said Vir Pal Singh, the national secretary of Akhil Bhartiya Jat Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti.
"Jats are worried about education and future of their children. They would not hesitate to adopt any method to fulfil their demand," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what