Jats seek reservations, block Lucknow-Delhi route
Amroha: Demanding reservations under the other backward classes (OBC) category for central government jobs, a large number of Jats demonstrated here on Sunday, disrupting the busy Delhi-Lucknow rail route, officials said.
Under the banner of the All India Jat Arakshan Samiti, the protestors squatted on the railway tracks near Kafurpur railway station, some 300 km from state capital Lucknow.
"Routes of over 30 trains have been changed due the demonstrations," Additional Railway Divisional Manager AK Singhal said.
"Moreover, four local trains have been cancelled," he added.
Meanwhile, the Jat Arakshan Samiti members have threatened to intensify their agitation if the central government does not pay heed to their demands.
"We either want the prime minister to assure us that he`ll take necessary steps to meet our demands, or a union minister should come here and listen to us. If the government fails to look into our demands, we would intensify our agitation," Yashpal Mallik of the Jat Arakshan Samiti told reporters.
Meanwhile, the police and the district authorities said that efforts were on to persuade the Jats to end their protest.
On Saturday, a group of Jats had carried out demonstrations on the rail tracks in Amroha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you