JC of Raja Bhaiya, SP MP, legislators extended
Pratapgarh (UP): The judicial custody of Independent MLA Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya, Samajwadi Party MP Shailendra Kumar, MLC Akshay Pratap Singh alias Gopalji, MLA Vinod Saroj and seven others was on Saturday extended by 14 days by a local court here.
According to prosecution sources, Chief Judicial Magistrate Manjula Sarkar extended the judicial custody on their plea that they needed more time for investigations against Shailendra Kumar, Vinod Saroj, Gopalji and Raja Bhaiya.
They were among the 11 people arrested on December 19 after an FIR was registered against them by Manoj Kumar Shukla, BSP candidate for Babuganj block head post, for allegedly threatening him.
They were later produced before a court which sent them to 14-days judicial custody.
Raja Bhaiya as well as his cousin and MLC Gopalji were brought amidst tight security from Bareilly jail, where they were shifted on December 26, to appear before the court, they said.
Accusing the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party government of being autocratic, Raja Bhaiya alleged that action was being taken against him under pressure from senior officers.
SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had earlier denounced the arrest of the four lawmakers, saying the ruling BSP was trying to terrorise its workers to win local body polls.
Condemning the arrest, SP state president Akhilesh Yadav had said, "Mayawati government is harassing Raja Bhaiya in a bid to demoralise him, but he will not bow down and we will struggle against his harassment."
Vinod Saroj had also lodged a counter FIR against Shukla and 20 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up