JC of Raja Bhaiya, SP MP, legislators extended
Pratapgarh (UP): The judicial custody of Independent MLA Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya, Samajwadi Party MP Shailendra Kumar, MLC Akshay Pratap Singh alias Gopalji, MLA Vinod Saroj and seven others was on Saturday extended by 14 days by a local court here.
According to prosecution sources, Chief Judicial Magistrate Manjula Sarkar extended the judicial custody on their plea that they needed more time for investigations against Shailendra Kumar, Vinod Saroj, Gopalji and Raja Bhaiya.
They were among the 11 people arrested on December 19 after an FIR was registered against them by Manoj Kumar Shukla, BSP candidate for Babuganj block head post, for allegedly threatening him.
They were later produced before a court which sent them to 14-days judicial custody.
Raja Bhaiya as well as his cousin and MLC Gopalji were brought amidst tight security from Bareilly jail, where they were shifted on December 26, to appear before the court, they said.
Accusing the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party government of being autocratic, Raja Bhaiya alleged that action was being taken against him under pressure from senior officers.
SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had earlier denounced the arrest of the four lawmakers, saying the ruling BSP was trying to terrorise its workers to win local body polls.
Condemning the arrest, SP state president Akhilesh Yadav had said, "Mayawati government is harassing Raja Bhaiya in a bid to demoralise him, but he will not bow down and we will struggle against his harassment."
Vinod Saroj had also lodged a counter FIR against Shukla and 20 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon