Jitin Prasada suggests UP CM should quit
New Delhi: Congress leader from Uttar Pradesh and union minister Jitin Prasada today suggested Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav quit in the wake of communal violence in Muzaffarnagar.
"If I were in Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav`s place, I would have stepped down taking moral responsibility," Prasada told PTI about the state ruled by UPA`s outside supporter Samajwadi Party.
He said it is after 20 years that the state witnessed such kind of violence and the army is out on the streets.
Prasada slammed Samajwadi Party, alleging it was hand-in-glove with BJP and trying and criminalise things in the run up to the elections.
He said the Centre had, from time to time, given necessary inputs to the state governemnt to ensure that these flare-ups do not take place.
"Twenty one years have passed since such kind of violence has erupted in the state. The army is on the streets. This was unheard of. Today`s youth does not know this kind of politics and this kind of situation," Prasada said.
When pointed out that his party is soft on the SP government in the state, he said "there is no question of being soft on any government especially when incidents like this happen where over 40 people have died and communal passions have flared up."
Congress had yesterday brushed aside demands for imposition of President`s rule in Uttar Pradesh, saying it is time for the Centre and the state to work to restore peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video