Job seekers claim being cheated by travel agency of Rs 60 lakh
Ghaziabad: Hundreds of people today staged a protest outside Indirapuram police station here alleging that they had been cheated to the tune of Rs 60 lakh by a travel agency with the promise of being provided jobs in the UAE.
A huge group of police approached the Indirapuram police and filed a written complaint against the agency, police said, adding that an FIR is yet to be registered as investigation is currently underway.
According to the victims, they got to know about jobs being offered in UAE through an advertisement on a website following which they deposited money through either online transaction or in cash.
The travel agency had instructed victims to reach its office on Friday evening for the flight to UAE which was supposed to leave at 10 am on Saturday from Delhi airport.
"When we reached office, it was found to be locked. Thereafter, we called up the travel agent`s mobile number, but his phone was switched off," Salman, a victim, said.
Abrar Ahmed, who hails from Faizabad district, said: "I had deposited Rs 50,000 and my passport to the agent. I was supposed to reach UAE by now, but all of my dreams have been shattered. How will I pay off the loan amount that I took to pay travel agent?"
"Police are investigating the case. After the completion of probe, an FIR would be registered in this case," a senior police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations