Jute mill gutted in Kanpur fire
Lucknow: The massive fire that broke out in the JK Jute Mill in Kanpur in the early hours of Sunday was doused after a 12-hour-long fire fighting operation.
Property and material worth crores was gutted, though no one was injured as the mill was closed for a two-day break on account of Eid-ul-Azha and Sunday. At least 17 fire tenders fought the blaze for 12 hours before putting it out.
Fire department officials told a news agency that the matting, knitting and sizing wings had been completely gutted. The roof of the one the wings caved in, and machines in the mill were burnt, officials said.
Though an exact estimate of the losses because of the fire would be known only when the management visits mill premises later Monday, firemen fear that not much remains in the wings that bore the brunt of the blaze.
More than 2,200 workers face an uncertain future. The management has sought extra police presence near the mill Monday, fearing that labourers might turn violent as they face unemployment for a while.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read