Jute mill gutted in Kanpur fire
Lucknow: The massive fire that broke out in the JK Jute Mill in Kanpur in the early hours of Sunday was doused after a 12-hour-long fire fighting operation.
Property and material worth crores was gutted, though no one was injured as the mill was closed for a two-day break on account of Eid-ul-Azha and Sunday. At least 17 fire tenders fought the blaze for 12 hours before putting it out.
Fire department officials told a news agency that the matting, knitting and sizing wings had been completely gutted. The roof of the one the wings caved in, and machines in the mill were burnt, officials said.
Though an exact estimate of the losses because of the fire would be known only when the management visits mill premises later Monday, firemen fear that not much remains in the wings that bore the brunt of the blaze.
More than 2,200 workers face an uncertain future. The management has sought extra police presence near the mill Monday, fearing that labourers might turn violent as they face unemployment for a while.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi