Jyoti murder case: IG recommends action against Kanpur cop
Kanpur: In more trouble for the cop who hugged a murder accused and planted a kiss on his forehead, a senior police officer has written to Uttar Pradesh police chief recommending strict action against him, saying his behaviour has brought disrepute to the force.
DCP Rakesh Naik was shifted from Swaroop Nagar circle and taken off ground duty Friday evening after the incident. The matter was immediately given to a senior SP for investigation, Inspector General of Police Ashutosh Pandey said Saturday.
In his letter to the state DGP, Pandey said that instead of probing the matter, Naik sympathised with Piyush Shyam Dasani, who is son of a prominent businessman and was arrested in connection with the murder of his wife, in front of the media and action should be taken against him for "indiscipline".
The IG said that while Naik has been removed from the case, he has recommended that he be transferred from the district so that the murder probe is not affected.
Meanwhile, Naik today claimed that he had no intention of sympathising with the accused but was only trying to calm him as he was repeatedly threatening to commit suicide.
The victim, Jyoti`s body, bearing multiple stab wounds, was found inside Dasani`s car on July 28 in Panki area of the district.
Dasani was arrested after he confessed to have got Jyoti killed with the help of his driver as he was having relations with another woman, police said.
The driver, his two accomplices and the woman with whom Dasani was having an affair have been arrested.
Dasani in his complaint lodged with the police after the incident alleged that he and Jyoti were returning home from a restaurant on July 27 night when some motorcycle-borne youths tried to overtake their car.
A scuffle broke out between him and the youths after one of the bikes hit the car, according to the complaint.
Dasani had claimed that he was beaten up by one of the youths after which they abducted Jyoti and also took the car along with them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Guess which state has max urban net subscribers; Maha, Delhi tied in 2nd spot
- IOC in talks to buy GSPC's stake in Mundra LNG terminal
- UK vote to leave EU `adds to uncertainty` in global economy: G20
- Finance Ministry allots Rs 2,000 cr extra budgetary grant for Chardham
- China builds massive seaplane: State media