Jyoti murder case: IG recommends action against Kanpur cop
Kanpur: In more trouble for the cop who hugged a murder accused and planted a kiss on his forehead, a senior police officer has written to Uttar Pradesh police chief recommending strict action against him, saying his behaviour has brought disrepute to the force.
DCP Rakesh Naik was shifted from Swaroop Nagar circle and taken off ground duty Friday evening after the incident. The matter was immediately given to a senior SP for investigation, Inspector General of Police Ashutosh Pandey said Saturday.
In his letter to the state DGP, Pandey said that instead of probing the matter, Naik sympathised with Piyush Shyam Dasani, who is son of a prominent businessman and was arrested in connection with the murder of his wife, in front of the media and action should be taken against him for "indiscipline".
The IG said that while Naik has been removed from the case, he has recommended that he be transferred from the district so that the murder probe is not affected.
Meanwhile, Naik today claimed that he had no intention of sympathising with the accused but was only trying to calm him as he was repeatedly threatening to commit suicide.
The victim, Jyoti`s body, bearing multiple stab wounds, was found inside Dasani`s car on July 28 in Panki area of the district.
Dasani was arrested after he confessed to have got Jyoti killed with the help of his driver as he was having relations with another woman, police said.
The driver, his two accomplices and the woman with whom Dasani was having an affair have been arrested.
Dasani in his complaint lodged with the police after the incident alleged that he and Jyoti were returning home from a restaurant on July 27 night when some motorcycle-borne youths tried to overtake their car.
A scuffle broke out between him and the youths after one of the bikes hit the car, according to the complaint.
Dasani had claimed that he was beaten up by one of the youths after which they abducted Jyoti and also took the car along with them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees