Kannauj bypolls, Dimple Yadav will elect unopposed
Kannauj: Dimple Yadav, wife of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is all set to be elected unopposed from the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat with both candidates in the fray against her withdrawing their nominations for the by-election.
On the last day of the withdrawal of names on Friday, Dashrath Singh Shankwar (Samyukt Samajwadi Dal) and Sanju Katiyar (Independent), withdrew their nominations leaving Dimple the only candidate in the electoral fray, Additional Electoral Officer Ramesh Chand Yadav said.
An official announcement in this regard could be made later by the Election Commission.
After Congress and BSP decided against fielding their nominees and the BJP candidate failed to file his nomination papers at the last minute, Dimple was expected to get a walkover on the seat vacated by her husband Akhilesh Yadav when he became the chief minister and was elected to the Legislative Council.
The Congress had opted not to contest the election in Kannauj saying it did not field its candidate even in 2009 elections and the BSP had decided to keep away from the bypoll alleging the ruling party of continuing with its tradition of nepotism by fielding Dimple.
In a volte face, BJP which had decided against contesting the by-election had announced the candidature of Jagdev Yadav shortly before the 3 PM deadline for filing of nominations.
Yadav, who had failed to reach the returning officer`s office in time to file the papers and later alleged that he was stopped by SP workers at two places.
35-year-old Dimple filed her nomination papers on Tuesday.
She had suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Congress` Raj Babbar in the by-polls for the Firozabad Lok Sabha seat in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared