Kannauj bypolls, Dimple Yadav will elect unopposed
Kannauj: Dimple Yadav, wife of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is all set to be elected unopposed from the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat with both candidates in the fray against her withdrawing their nominations for the by-election.
On the last day of the withdrawal of names on Friday, Dashrath Singh Shankwar (Samyukt Samajwadi Dal) and Sanju Katiyar (Independent), withdrew their nominations leaving Dimple the only candidate in the electoral fray, Additional Electoral Officer Ramesh Chand Yadav said.
An official announcement in this regard could be made later by the Election Commission.
After Congress and BSP decided against fielding their nominees and the BJP candidate failed to file his nomination papers at the last minute, Dimple was expected to get a walkover on the seat vacated by her husband Akhilesh Yadav when he became the chief minister and was elected to the Legislative Council.
The Congress had opted not to contest the election in Kannauj saying it did not field its candidate even in 2009 elections and the BSP had decided to keep away from the bypoll alleging the ruling party of continuing with its tradition of nepotism by fielding Dimple.
In a volte face, BJP which had decided against contesting the by-election had announced the candidature of Jagdev Yadav shortly before the 3 PM deadline for filing of nominations.
Yadav, who had failed to reach the returning officer`s office in time to file the papers and later alleged that he was stopped by SP workers at two places.
35-year-old Dimple filed her nomination papers on Tuesday.
She had suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Congress` Raj Babbar in the by-polls for the Firozabad Lok Sabha seat in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details