Kanpur: 9-month-old tiger cub dies in Zoo
Kanpur: A nine-month-old tiger cub has died after suffering from respiratory problems in Kanpur Zoo, officials said Tuesday.
"The cub contracted an infection in its respiratory system and was under treatment for four days. But it succumbed last evening," said Zoo Director K K Thomas.
Thomas said that the male cub was one of the three offsprings born last July to a tigress named Trisha, who had been brought to the zoo from Gujarat`s Junagadh in 2011.
The director added that the other two cubs were doing fine.
Meanwhile, an RTI query filed by a social worker has brought forth the revelation that 393 animals have died in Kanpur Zoo since April 2009 till present due to various reasons although no official measures have been taken to check the high mortality rate of animals in the zoo.
In a recent example of human lapses which proved fatal for animals in the zoo, 31 black bucks were killed after being attacked by stray, wild dogs in an incident which was reported on January 20 of this year.
The attack led to the suspension of seven zoo employees including director K Pravin Rao and three security staff on night duty at the time of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof