Kanpur: 9-month-old tiger cub dies in Zoo
Kanpur: A nine-month-old tiger cub has died after suffering from respiratory problems in Kanpur Zoo, officials said Tuesday.
"The cub contracted an infection in its respiratory system and was under treatment for four days. But it succumbed last evening," said Zoo Director K K Thomas.
Thomas said that the male cub was one of the three offsprings born last July to a tigress named Trisha, who had been brought to the zoo from Gujarat`s Junagadh in 2011.
The director added that the other two cubs were doing fine.
Meanwhile, an RTI query filed by a social worker has brought forth the revelation that 393 animals have died in Kanpur Zoo since April 2009 till present due to various reasons although no official measures have been taken to check the high mortality rate of animals in the zoo.
In a recent example of human lapses which proved fatal for animals in the zoo, 31 black bucks were killed after being attacked by stray, wild dogs in an incident which was reported on January 20 of this year.
The attack led to the suspension of seven zoo employees including director K Pravin Rao and three security staff on night duty at the time of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened