Kanpur engineering student ragged, hospitalized
Lucknow: A first-year engineering student in Uttar Pradesh`s Kanpur district was hospitalised after he was allegedly ragged and assaulted by his seniors because he declined to mouth abusive words, police said Monday.
Rajanshu, a B.Tech student of the Pranveer Singh Institute of Technology, was ill-treated by a group of seniors inside his hostel room on the campus Sunday for not using expletives during his introduction. He was hospitalised in the evening by some of his batchmates, who found him lying unconscious inside his room.
A case against unidentified students was registered late Sunday by the police.
"According to Rajanshu, four senior students physically abused him for defying their order to use objectionable words while introducing himself to a group of senior students," police inspector PK Pandey told reporters in Kanpur, some 80 km from Lucknow.
"Rajanshu, who took admission in the college earlier this month, failed to identify the seniors by their names. So we have registered a case against unidentified students," he added.
Police and college officials have initiated a joint inquiry into the incident to gather information about the senior students who assaulted Rajanshu, who hails from Aligarh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed