Kanpur zoo director, 6 others suspended; probe ordered into death of 31 blackbucks
Kanpur: The director and six other employees of Kanpur zoological park, where 31 blackbucks were mauled to death by stray dogs, have been suspended by the Uttar Pradesh government, while post mortem report of the antelopes revealed on Monday that 18 of them had died of shock.
The state government has also ordered an inquiry into the matter.
"The investigation of the matter has now been handed over to a team from Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) in Lucknow," a senior official said.
According to District Magistrate M P Agarwal, seven employees, including the director of the zoo, have been suspended.
"The UP government, after taking the issue with utmost seriousness, has suspended the zoo director K Praveen Rao, two officials Jai Prakash Awasthi and I P Yadav, guards Nathuram Dwiwedi and Udaibhan, watchman Sher Singh and keeper Parshuram," Agarwal said.
According to the post-mortem report, out of the 31 blackbucks found dead yesterday morning, 26 were doe. The report has revealed that 18 of them had died out of shock.
However, 29 of them had teeth and claw marks on their bodies. And, five of the them were badly devoured, the report said.
Meanwhile, the city corporation officials have been ordered to run a campaign to round up stray dogs in the city streets with immediate effect, Agrawal said.
Thirty-one endangered blackbucks were found killed by dogs in the zoo yesterday.
Out of the 38 blackbucks inside the enclosure, only seven had survived.
Blackbucks are native to the Indian subcontinent and have been classified as near threatened by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015