Kanpur zoo director, 6 others suspended; probe ordered into death of 31 blackbucks
Kanpur: The director and six other employees of Kanpur zoological park, where 31 blackbucks were mauled to death by stray dogs, have been suspended by the Uttar Pradesh government, while post mortem report of the antelopes revealed on Monday that 18 of them had died of shock.
The state government has also ordered an inquiry into the matter.
"The investigation of the matter has now been handed over to a team from Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) in Lucknow," a senior official said.
According to District Magistrate M P Agarwal, seven employees, including the director of the zoo, have been suspended.
"The UP government, after taking the issue with utmost seriousness, has suspended the zoo director K Praveen Rao, two officials Jai Prakash Awasthi and I P Yadav, guards Nathuram Dwiwedi and Udaibhan, watchman Sher Singh and keeper Parshuram," Agarwal said.
According to the post-mortem report, out of the 31 blackbucks found dead yesterday morning, 26 were doe. The report has revealed that 18 of them had died out of shock.
However, 29 of them had teeth and claw marks on their bodies. And, five of the them were badly devoured, the report said.
Meanwhile, the city corporation officials have been ordered to run a campaign to round up stray dogs in the city streets with immediate effect, Agrawal said.
Thirty-one endangered blackbucks were found killed by dogs in the zoo yesterday.
Out of the 38 blackbucks inside the enclosure, only seven had survived.
Blackbucks are native to the Indian subcontinent and have been classified as near threatened by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday