Kanpur zoo director, 6 others suspended; probe ordered into death of 31 blackbucks
Kanpur: The director and six other employees of Kanpur zoological park, where 31 blackbucks were mauled to death by stray dogs, have been suspended by the Uttar Pradesh government, while post mortem report of the antelopes revealed on Monday that 18 of them had died of shock.
The state government has also ordered an inquiry into the matter.
"The investigation of the matter has now been handed over to a team from Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) in Lucknow," a senior official said.
According to District Magistrate M P Agarwal, seven employees, including the director of the zoo, have been suspended.
"The UP government, after taking the issue with utmost seriousness, has suspended the zoo director K Praveen Rao, two officials Jai Prakash Awasthi and I P Yadav, guards Nathuram Dwiwedi and Udaibhan, watchman Sher Singh and keeper Parshuram," Agarwal said.
According to the post-mortem report, out of the 31 blackbucks found dead yesterday morning, 26 were doe. The report has revealed that 18 of them had died out of shock.
However, 29 of them had teeth and claw marks on their bodies. And, five of the them were badly devoured, the report said.
Meanwhile, the city corporation officials have been ordered to run a campaign to round up stray dogs in the city streets with immediate effect, Agrawal said.
Thirty-one endangered blackbucks were found killed by dogs in the zoo yesterday.
Out of the 38 blackbucks inside the enclosure, only seven had survived.
Blackbucks are native to the Indian subcontinent and have been classified as near threatened by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!