Kanwarias clash with police in UP
Bhadohi (Uttar Pradesh): Hundreds of Kanwarias, the orange-robed devotees of Lord Shiva, on Saturday went berserk after a car mowed down one man and injured four fellow pilgrims here, police said.
The tragedy happened in Aurai town when a Tavera car hit the devotees, police inspector RK Srivastava said.
In no time, a large number of Kanwarias went on a rampage along the national highway demanding the arrest of the car driver.
They attacked the police, targeted public property and damaged several vehicles. They hurled stones and rocks, vandalised a police station and tried to set a police booth on fire, the officer said.
It was only after the intervention of senior officers that they calmed down.
Kanwarias collect the Ganges water in Haridwar and walk back home in the month of Shravan. The month started July 16 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ayutthaya: Once a diplomatic hub in the Siamese kingdom, now a Thailand heritage site
- Hooked to selfies because you think you are attractive – here’s a reality check
- US lifts arms embargo on Vietnam
- DU professor Saibaba released from Hyderabad jail
- SHOCKING! Driver refuses to pay toll, rams bus into Gurgaon toll, tries to crush manager