Kanwarias clash with police in UP
Bhadohi (Uttar Pradesh): Hundreds of Kanwarias, the orange-robed devotees of Lord Shiva, on Saturday went berserk after a car mowed down one man and injured four fellow pilgrims here, police said.
The tragedy happened in Aurai town when a Tavera car hit the devotees, police inspector RK Srivastava said.
In no time, a large number of Kanwarias went on a rampage along the national highway demanding the arrest of the car driver.
They attacked the police, targeted public property and damaged several vehicles. They hurled stones and rocks, vandalised a police station and tried to set a police booth on fire, the officer said.
It was only after the intervention of senior officers that they calmed down.
Kanwarias collect the Ganges water in Haridwar and walk back home in the month of Shravan. The month started July 16 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM