Karamvir takes over as UP Police; Vikram shifted to Home Guards
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Government today
shunted Police Chief Vikram Singh to head the Home Guards and
appointed Karamvir Singh as new Director General of Uttar
Vikram, a 1974 batch IPS officer, was handed over the
marching orders late last night. The outgoing chief, who will
retire in May next year, was shifted today to join as Director
General of Home Guards.
Vikram was succeeded by Singh, a 1975-batch IPS officer,
who returned to the state last week after a successful tenure
as head of CRPF operating in militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir.
The 58-year-old officer, who takes over the reins of the
police force in the most populated state, was also
instrumental in ensuring peaceful Parliamentary and Assembly
polls in Jammu and Kashmir.
The transfer order of Vikram came amid strong criticism
of the increasing crime rate in the state which witnessed
violence and arson at the residence of UPCC chief Rita
Bahuguna Joshi allegedly by BSP workers here in July.
Both Congress and Samajwadi Party launched agitations
against the Mayawati government especially on the law and
After taking over, Singh told reporters that his priority
will be to improve the efficiency of the force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?